MPHS girls track team got 2nd at the Washington Relays. Davenport Central won the team title with 149, MPHS 140 points. Mary Wester had a school and meet record throw in the discus with a winning toss of 132’ 4”, she also won the shot put. Lelsie Taylor won the long jump 17’1”, Kelsi Phipps won the 100 meter hurdles 15.58, Chloe Haffarnan 1st in the 800 meters 2:27.01. Panthers won the 4×800 relay with Natalie ita, Ellie Conrad, Mikhayla Meek and Chloe Haffarnan. Shuttle hurdle was 1st in 66.44 with Sidney Taylor, leslie taylor, Hannah Becker and Kelsi Phipps.
MPHS varsity boys golf lost to Fairfield Friday 167-158. Kiley Miller was medalist with a 36.
MPHS girl’s tennis team hosted Ft Madison Friday
Mt Pleasant 8 (record 5-1)
Ft Madison 1
Singles: #1 Taylor Beatty (MP) def Rachel Sugars 9-7 (MP record 5-3)
#2 Tasha Glover (MP) def Chloe Carter 8-1 (5-1)
#3 Elizabeth Shaw (MP) def Becca Wolfe 8-4 (5-1)
#4 Ashton Whaley (MP) def Andrea Otte 8-4 (5-1)
#5 Madalyn Fischer (FM) def Lorynn Whaley 8-6 (2-3)
#6 Raeanna Crile (MP) def Alicia Ramatowski 8-1 (6-0)
JV Emily Hatfield (MP) def JoAnne Hanssen 6-3
JV Jessica Holtkamp (MP) def Melanie Meierotto 6-0
JV Meagan Woodard (MP) def Lexie Gonzales 6-4
JV Shayla Gustafson (FM) def Emma Overton 6-4
JV Overton (MP) def Hope Gray 6-3
Doubles: #1 Beatty/Glover (MP) def Sugars/Carter 8-3 (5-1)
#2 Shaw/A Whaley (MP) def Wolfe/Otte 8-2 (5-1)
#3 Crile/Hatfield (MP) def Fischer/Ramatowski 8-3 (6-2)
JV L Whaley/Holtkamp (MP) def Danielle Claman/Brittany Workman 6-1
JV Woodard/Overton (MP) def Hailey Gray/Charissa Smith 6-1
Next match: Monday, 5/5/14, at Fairfield
MPHS boy’s tennis team beat Ft. Madison on the Bloodhounds court Friday 8-1. Singles winners ; Zach Schmitz, Tyler Pace, Blake Wickham, Austin Meyer, Colton Schinstock. Doubles winners: Schmitz and Pace, Zihlman and Wickham, Meyer and Schinstock.
MPHS girls soccer team beat Washington 1-0 to improve their record to 3-5. Sophia Cam scored the goal for M.P.
Washington defeated the Panther boys soccer team in sudden death.
The Iowa Wesleyan track & field teams had their awards night on Wednesday night. The Tigers’ track & field programs have been impressive over the last two seasons as they set six school records and had 27 other top 5 performances in school history.
This year was a breakout year for the program which saw three school records go down during the indoor season and two more records fall outdoors.
The Tigers’ also sent a team to the Drake Relays, saw the men finish third among conference teams at the SLIAC Invitational, and had the women finish seventh at the conference meet. IWC crowned three event champions at the SLIAC Invitational – Anthony Harris (400m), Will Stephenson (Long Jump), and the 4x400m relay (Harris, Duane Lee, Michael Klostermann, and Raul Becerril).
The winners of the IWC awards night were:
“Waldo Mick” MVP Award
- Anthony Harris (School record in indoor & outdoor 4x400m relays, school record in outdoor 4x200m relay, #2 All-time in both indoor & outdoor open 400m, and #4 in both the 100m & 200m outdoors).
- C.J. Strother (School record holder in the indoor weight throw and #4 All-time in the hammer throw outdoors).
- Michael Klostermann (School record holder in indoor & outdoor 4x400m relays, school record outdoor 4x200m relay, #2 All-time in 400mH, and #5 All-time in indoor 400m.
- Duane Lee (School record holder in outdoor 4x200m and 4x400m relays, #4 All-time in indoor 400m).
- Raul Becerril (School record holder in indoor & outdoor 4x400m, school record holder in outdoor 4x200m relay, #3 All-time in indoor 400m, and #6 All-time in both indoor & outdoor 200m).
- Jake Ayers (School record holder in indoor mile & 4x400m relay, #2 All-time in indoor 3k, #3 All-time in steeplechase, #4 in indoor 800m and #5 in outdoor 800m).
- Jeremiah Foley (Foley ran the 100m and 200m outdoors and was a big part of pushing his teammates at practice and encouraging them at meets. He was always helping others prepare for excellence and pushing himself as well.
The Tiger women’s and men’s track programs will be eliminated next year .
The Iowa Wesleyan softball team had four members earn conference honors this season, as announced by the SLIAC yesterday.
Dwyer hit .405 on the year, including eight homeruns and 12 doubles. She had an impressive slugging percentage of .730. Dwyer led the Tigers in batting average, homeruns, and slugging percentage. She also had 30 RBI’s on the season.
Stube hit .304 from the plate with an on-base percentage of .390. Stube had four doubles and two triples, and also drove in 12 runs for IWC in her final season.
Caitlin O’Neil was named to the SLIAC Honorable Mention team for the purple and white. O’Neil hit .333 in her first collegiate season. Her 26 runs scored led the team, as did her 34 RBI’s on the year. She had 12 doubles, four triples, and two homeruns.
Samantha Shepard earned SLIAC All-Sportsmanship Team honors. In her final season, Shepard hit .228 with three doubles and one triple. She recorded 13 RBI’s and drew 11 walks.
The Tigers finished the year at 17-21 overall and 9-9 in the SLIAC.