FEMA is now providing financial assistance for COVID-19 funeral expenses. The program began accepting applications today(April 12th.)
Funeral directors were with families as they planned services for their loved ones during the pandemic. Now they are standing by to answer questions, gather documents, and help people apply for this assistance.
Here’s what you need to know about the program:
- People can apply by calling the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line. The toll-free number is 844-684-6333.
- FEMA will reimburse funds up to $9,000.
- The assistance will be for funeral expenses from Jan. 20th 2020 and ongoing, with current and future services eligible for payment.
- The death must have occurred in the United States.
- The death certificate must indicate COVID-19 as the cause of death.
The virus was listed as cause of death for 35 in Jefferson County over the last year, 49 in Washington, 120 in Wapello, 18 in Van Buren Co, 37 in Henry and Keokuk’s total is at 30. To learn more about the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, visit these websites: FEMA or Iowa Funeral Directors Association