House Considered Total Loss After Wednesday Evening Fire in Burlington

The Burlington Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a residential structure fire on Wednesday evening. Firefighters arrived at 5:24 pm to find heavy smoke coming from inside 810 Maple Street. As crews entered the single-family residence, they were met with heavy flames.

810 Maple is owned by David Davis, who leases the residence to Iva Cale. She was assisted by the American Redcross.

A juvenile babysitter and two nine-year-olds were inside at the time of the incident. The juvenile saw smoke and flames emerging from the backside of the stove. A working smoke detector also alerted the juvenile. The three people made it out safely, as well as two dogs and two cats.

The property was not insured at the time of the incident and is considered a total loss.

The Burlington Fire Department was assisted by West Burlington Fire Department, Mediapolis Fire Department, Alliant Energy and Gas, and the American Redcross.

The fire has been ruled undetermined and is not considered suspicious.  There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported and all units cleared the scene at 7:54 pm.