The Henry County Historic Preservation Commission held its March Meeting on the 15th at the Henry County Courthouse. The State Historical Society is currently reviewing the Wayland Historic Residential application for the National Register of Historic Places. There are only 53 Rural Schools of Henry County books left at the auditor’s office so if anyone is still interested in a copy, now is the time to pick one up before they are gone. Pat White reported on the progress of the Henry County Cemeteries book. A good portion of the book has been completed and under review. There are several special chapters that need to to be researched and written before a first draft of the book is produced. There were several announcements of upcoming history related events; the Henry Co Heritage Trust is sponsoring a historic church tour April 30 in Mt. Pleasant, the Winfield Museum is having a program on high school basketball history at the veterans building April 16 at 2:00 pm, and the James Harlan Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) is holding a 100th anniversary celebration on March 25 at the Ashford Park Clubhouse. The next commission meeting will be Wednesday April 19.
Recent News Stories
- News Spring Street Work Begins March 29, 2023
- News Henry County Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda March 29, 2023
- News Chamber of Commerce to Host Legislative Roundtable Revised March 29, 2023
- News Iowa Wesleyan Committed to Finishing the Semester March 28, 2023
- News Governor’s Response to IW Closure March 28, 2023
- News MID-AM BUILDING SUPPLY TO BEGIN CONSTRUCTION ON NEW FACILITY IN MOUNT PLEASANT March 28, 2023