The Henry County Historic Preservation Commission met Wednesday October 19 at the old Pilot Grove No. 6 schoolhouse at East Grove Farms. Pat White announced that the Lincoln Harlan House Museum has a new director, Spencer Barton. Larry Roth provided an update on the Wayland historic residential district national register nomination project. There was discussion of a joint project between the Historic Preservation Commission and the Pioneer Cemetery Commission to develope a comprehensive book on the county’s cemeteries. Commissioner Joel Garretson shared photos taken of Danny Graber’s 1886 Beckwith bank barn to see if the barn would qualify for placement on the National Register of Historic Places. Mary Savage reported on the recent visit to the Lewelling Quaker Museum by John and Genie Gerdes and friends. John is the great great great grandson of Ruel Daggs who owned slaves in Missouri that had escaped to Salem through the underground railroad. Judy Rawson announced several upcoming history related events in the Winfield Museum; Vintage Toys on November 6 and open house on December 17, and Caroline Lehman announced that a new display on Iowa history will be at the Dover Museum on October 30. The next meeting will be November 16 at the courthouse. These meetings are open to the public.
Recent News Stories
- News New Electric Vehicle Chargers Tax Beginning July 1st June 9, 2023
- News IWU Furniture June 9, 2023
- News Water Main Break on West Orange Street June 9, 2023
- News New Donation Box at the Quarter Maybe More Store June 9, 2023
- News Fellowship Cup – Summer Sack Program Donations June 9, 2023
- News 4-H Camp a Success June 9, 2023