Mt. Pleasant Mapleleaf Apartment Fire on Saturday

*New Information*

Regarding the fire this past weekend at the Mapleleaf Apartments in Mount Pleasant, 14 apartments have residences displaced. The north side of the third floor was impacted by the fire, and 303 has been confirmed as the unit where the fire started. That particular unit sustained heavy damage and it is considered totaled. The Mapleleaf Apartment Complex said that this fire was caused due to a grease fire. The only fatality was the unit owner’s cat. This resident will be relocated to a vacant apartment within the complex.

A few apartments on the second floor suffered from water damage.  Three apartments on the first floor are unable to house residents at this moment.

The Red Cross paid for three-unit residents to relocate to a motel temporarily. Calvary Baptist housed residents, as did Arbor Court.

Mapleleaf Apartment Complex is very happy with the turnout for help and mentioned how the help arrived very quickly.

*Previous Information*

A fire broke out on the third floor of the Mapleleaf Apartments on Mapleleaf Drive. All residents were evacuated and MPCSD buses were there for possible transportation to other housing temporarily.

On scene were Mt. Pleasant, Salem and New London Fire, HCHC Ambulances, Henry County Emergency Management Director Walt Jackson, Mt. Pleasant Police, Henry County Sheriff Department and Iowa State Patrol. Many residents were taken to nearby Arbor Court Nursing Home and Calvary Baptist Church.

The community has rallied together and helped provide support to individuals impacted by this fire. More details will be know later.