Updated: Gas Leak Causes Fire

A gas leak and subsequent fire created some excitement Tuesday afternoon on West Monroe Street in Mount Pleasant.  Street construction has been going on in the 200 and 300 blocks that has included utility work.  According to Mount Pleasant Utilities’ Manager Jack Hedgecock, a piece of their equipment snagged an exposed Alliant Energy gas service.  This caused a leak and Alliant was called to make repairs.  The use of a welder to fix the leak caused a fire in the hole near the VFW.  Mount Pleasant Fire Department was called to control the flames while Alliant worked to cut the gas supply. New London Fire Department was called for standby. In the meantime, Mount Pleasant Police evacuated the 300 block of West Monroe.  No injuries were reported and no property damage occurred. Hedgecock said his department will be doing an internal investigation as to how the service was snagged in the first place.  Alliant is Mount Pleasant’s natural gas supplier.