Raccoon Causes Electrical Fire in Grandview

At approximately 2:58 AM on 3/12/24, Wapello Fire and Rescue was called to 14945 145th Street in rural Grandview for a report of a ditch fire.

Upon arrival, fire crews found several area of grass on fire along an approximately one-half mile stretch of the roadway. A high-voltage overhead electric line was found to have fallen onto the ground and fenceline. Fire crews monitored the fire until the power company could cut the electricity. Fire crews then quickly extinguished the fire and returned to base.

There were no firefighter injuries, and the fire was caused by a raccoon which climbed a pole and shorted out an electric insulator. Wapello Fire was assisted on scene by Eastern Iowa Light and Power and Louisa County Sheriff’s Office.