Prep Girls’ Basketball: Fort Madison Surges Past Mount Pleasant, Winfield Wins; Other Prep Finals:
Fort Madison 55, Mount Pleasant 44
Mount Pleasant was outscored 34-21 in the second half, as Fort Madison earned a 55-44 Southeast Conference win over the Panthers last night in Mount Pleasant.
Bloodhound senior Malarie Ross scored 27 points in the second half, hitting 8-of-9 shots from the field and 4-of-5 from downtown.
She led all scorers with a game-high 37 points.
Mount Pleasant used a 15-7 second quarter run to lead by two at halftime.
Kenna Lamm paced Mount Pleasant with 20 points and four boards, while Andrea Lopreato finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
The loss dropped Mount Pleasant to 1-2.
Fort Madison stayed perfect, the Bloodhounds improved to 3-0.
Mount Pleasant will take on West Burlington this afternoon at Panther Gymnasium — tip is set for 4:00 p.m.
Winfield-Mount Union 56, Highland 29
Winfield-Mount Union led 26-15 at the end of the first half and used a 22-5 third quarter run to pull away for an easy 56-29 win over Highland last night.
The Wolves improved to 4-0 with the victory.
Dani Laughlin led Highland with 11 points while Sarah Burton added eight.
Highland fell to 1-2.
Other area finals:
- WACO 49, New London 21
- WACO’s 26-8 second quarter run proved to the be difference for the Warriors. WACO moved to 1-2. New London is now 0-5.
- Notre Dame 53, Van Buren County 4
- Holy Trinity 55, Cardinal 39
- Louisa-Muscatine 49, Columbus 13
- Wapello 44, Hillcrest Academy 28
- Mediapolis 51, Pekin 23
Boys’ Prep Basketball: Back and Forth Affair Leads to Fort Madison Win, Other Prep Finals:
Dewon Trent scored 17 points while Payton Hagans chipped in with 13, but it was not enough as Mount Pleasant was edged by Fort Madison 47-45.
The Hounds eight point lead after one quarter proved to be the difference, with the Panthers outscoring Fort Madison by six the rest of the way.
Dayton Davis paced Fort Madison with 17 points while Miles Dear chipped in with 12.
Fort Madison is 1-0.
Mount Pleasant fell to 0-2.
Other prep finals:
- New London 60, WACO 57 (OT)
- Hillcrest Academy 51, Wapello 43
- Notre Dame 60, Van Buren 38
- Burlington 61, Keokuk 40
College Football: Iowa Readies for Michigan:
The Iowa football team will have a chance to play in the Rose Bowl on the line tonight when they take on No. 2 Michigan in the Big Ten Championship.
Michigan, who finally beat Ohio State last week, are playing for a bid as at least the No. 2 seed in the College Football Playoff and could potentially reach No. 1 with a win and a Georgia loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship.
The Hawkeyes will lean on their offensive line and running game against the Wolverines.
Tyler Linderbaum and Kyler Schott were two all-conference selections for the Hawkeyes along the offensive line and they’ll be tasked with slowing down Michigan edge rusher and probable No. 1 overall pick in next April’s NFL Draft Aiden Hutchinson.
Tonight’s game will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Kick is set for 7:00 p.m.
Pregame coverage on FM-105.5 and kilj.com will begin at 5:00 p.m. with the Hawkeye Gameday Show.
Area Events Today:
- West Burlington at Mount Pleasant
- Keokuk at Davenport Assumption
- Williamsburg at Fort Madison
- West Hancock at Keokuk (boys’)
- Wapello at Danville
- Winfield-Mount Union at Van Buren County
- Holy Trinity at Mediapolis
- WACO, BGM, Cedar Rapids Washington, Louisa-Muscatine, New London at New London
- Mount Pleasant, Mediapolis, Columbus Community/Winfield-Mount Union and others are at Wapello.