On March 22 at approximately 11:53p.m. deputies with the Des Moines County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to US Highway 61 and 160th street where a vehicle struck a utility pole and then caught on fire. Deputies arrived on scene on 160th St. just west of US Highway 61. The vehicle and the utility pole were engulfed in flames and the driver was out of the vehicle. Mediapolis Fire responded and extinguished the vehicle and the utility pole. The vehicle was a total loss. Upon investigation deputies investigated the accident and determined the vehicle was southbound on US Highway 61 when it left the roadway and entered a field heading southwest towards 160th St. The vehicle struck a culvert and then the utility pole. Deputies determined the driver, Haydn Eberhardt, age 18, was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident. Eberhardt was placed under arrest for operating while intoxicated and failure to maintain control.
Recent News Stories
- News Juveniles Arrested for Vandelism May 8, 2021
- News Smith Plumbing, Heating & Cooling 2021 Small Business of the Year May 7, 2021
- News KILJ Mother of the Year! May 7, 2021
- News MP School District Site and Policy Committee Meetings on Friday May 6, 2021
- News Mount Pleasant Street Closure May 6, 2021
- News Libertyville Savings Bank Supports Agribusiness Program at Iowa Wesleyan May 6, 2021