The Henry County Supervisors approved a resolution awarding the contract for the 320th Street riverbank stabilization project to Four Season Excavation of West Burlington in the amount of $219,910. That decision was made at the board meeting this week. The board also heard a presentation on a new jobs project at the Mount Pleasant Correctional Facility. Warden Jay Nelson was there along with Dan Clark with Iowa Prison Industries and Winegard VP of Human Resources Denise Johnson. Winegard is currently having certain production work done at the prison. Johnson said the company is having trouble hiring. IPI is working with Iowa Workforce Development to find ways to help employers meet hiring needs. Clark said the inmates are trained in lean manufacturing, industrial safety and skills need to enter the workforce on release in 6 to 12 months. They also receive a liveable wage of which the inmate keeps 20%. The rest is used to pay restitution, fees and taxes owned by the prisoner.
Recent News Stories
- News Juveniles Arrested for Vandelism May 8, 2021
- News Smith Plumbing, Heating & Cooling 2021 Small Business of the Year May 7, 2021
- News KILJ Mother of the Year! May 7, 2021
- News MP School District Site and Policy Committee Meetings on Friday May 6, 2021
- News Mount Pleasant Street Closure May 6, 2021
- News Libertyville Savings Bank Supports Agribusiness Program at Iowa Wesleyan May 6, 2021