February is Black History Month. Beginning this year, February 1 is George Washington Carver Day in Iowa. George Washington Carver was the first African American student to attend Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm, now Iowa State University, and in 1894 became the first African American to earn a Bachelor of Science. He stayed in Ames and became the first African American faculty member. For more information about Carver’s time in Ames, check out this segment of the PBS program “George Washington Carver: An Uncommon Life.” Iowa State is holding a special event to honor Carver February 1, 5:30-7:00 p.m., at the Memorial Union. The event also will be livestreamed.
Recent News Stories
- News Wayland Council Agenda June 5, 2023
- News Plea Deal for Stolen Valor Met with Protests June 5, 2023
- News Danville City Council Meeting Agenda for June 5th June 3, 2023
- News Winfield-Mt. Union Community School Board Meeting Agenda June 2, 2023
- News Farmers Market Nutrition Program Returns June 2, 2023
- News 100 Deadliest Days Begin June 2, 2023