February is Black History Month. Beginning this year, February 1 is George Washington Carver Day in Iowa. George Washington Carver was the first African American student to attend Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm, now Iowa State University, and in 1894 became the first African American to earn a Bachelor of Science. He stayed in Ames and became the first African American faculty member. For more information about Carver’s time in Ames, check out this segment of the PBS program “George Washington Carver: An Uncommon Life.” Iowa State is holding a special event to honor Carver February 1, 5:30-7:00 p.m., at the Memorial Union. The event also will be livestreamed.
Recent News Stories
- News Choose Iowa Grant Application December 8, 2023
- News Woman Killed in Burlington Now Identified December 8, 2023
- News Budget Cuts Coming to Henry County December 8, 2023
- News Cereal Box Drive Organized by Mt. Pleasant Highschoolers December 8, 2023
- News Two Men Flee After Traffic Stop in Mt. Pleasant Now Charged December 8, 2023
- News Man Arrested Months After Burglary December 8, 2023