May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. As May approaches with warmer temperatures throughout the country, the unofficial start of the summer road travel season begins. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2020, there were 5,579 motorcyclists killed in traffic crashes, an increase from 5,044 in 2019. Research also shows that motorcyclists are significantly overrepresented in traffic crashes and fatalities each year. In 2020, per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists were about 28 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a motor vehicle crash and were 4 times more likely to be injured. Remember to watch for motorcyclists and use safe driving and riding practices to help reduce the number of fatalities and injuries on our nation’s highways.
Recent News Stories
- News Change of Date July 3, 2022
- News First Case of Monkeypox in Iowa July 2, 2022
- News Hy-Vee Voluntarily Withdraws All Potato Salad Varieties Due to Presumptive Positive Microbial Test Result July 1, 2022
- News YOUNG FARMERS ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR IOWA FARM BUREAU’S “GROW YOUR FUTURE” AWARD July 1, 2022
- News 4 Safety Tips to Enjoy Fireworks July 1, 2022
- News Road Construction Update June 30, 2022