By: Nathan Bloechl — email@example.com
Boys Track: Panthers Qualify Four for Blue Oval:
Mitch Anderson’s Mount Pleasant boys’ track team qualified two individual events and two relays as they took fourth at yesterday’s State Qualifying Track Meet at Mount Pleasant High School.
Anderson saw his sophomore hurdler Bryce Wilson save his best for last, winning the 110m hurdles in a season fastest 15.25, defeating top-seeded Clear Creek-Amana Harrison Rosenburg on his way to an automatic qualification.
Just a sophomore, Wilson hasn’t even come close to his peak, yet.
Senior thrower Cooper Pullis was on fire yesterday in the shot put ring.
Pullis won with a throw of 51 feet, 8 1/2 inches to qualify automatically.
Also earning qualification to the State Track and Field Championships were two Panther relay teams.
First, the shuttle hurdle team of Will Davidson, Jack Johnson, Morgan Van Nyhuis and Wilson came from behind late, thanks to a huge surge by Wilson, to capture runner up honors.
That quartet ran 1:04.16.
The final relay team was the Panthers’ distance medley team who ran 3:46.01 to earn a second place finish.
Comprising that group was Chase Williamson, Will Davidson, Reean Seberg and Isaiah Albright.
In other boys’ track around the area last night:
- New London will send four events to the state meet. Carter Allen, a Drake Relays qualifier, was a double-winner with victories in both the discus and shot put.
- Kade Benjamin, the terrific New London hoopster, jumped 6’0′ to win the high jump in Wayland yesterday.
- Seth Bailey ran 10:18 even to win the 3,200m run.
- Danville’s terrific relay bunch of Mason Chipman, Oliver Sowell, Gabriel Gourley and Ty Carr won the 4×400 and 4×800 to qualify in both events.
- Mediapolis’ Anthony Isley punched his ticket to the state meet with a second place finish in the long jump with a leap of 20 feet, six inches.
Girls Track: Panthers Qualify Five, Anticipate More:
It was yet another record setting performance for Mount Pleasant junior Jadan Brumbaugh, who broke her own school record yet again throwing a monstrous 44 feet, 10 1/2 inches.
Brumbaugh, the Drake Relays champion, has her sights set on on a state championship now.
Mount Pleasant also saw Cristina Carthey, Karsyn Lamm, Grace Kelley and Abby Blint qualify.
Carthey ran 5:24.11 for second place in the 1,500m.
Lamm, who was the third-seed, came from behind with a late surge to nip top-seeded Kelsey Pacha of Fairfield. Lamm ran 15.80.
Blint was another runner up for the Panthers, this time in the 3,000m run. Blint ran 11:43.06 to earn an automatic qualification into the dance.
Meanwhile Grace Kelley, the Panther discus ace, threw 124 feet, five inches. That was good enough for a runner up finish behind Davenport Assumption’s Anna Wohlers.
Other girls track from around the area last night:
- Danville senior Addison Parrott will take part in four events at the Blue Oval. Parrott clinched individual titles in the 800m, 1500m and 3000m run while also helping orchestrate the Bears distance medley team to a first-place finish.
- Other Danville Bears heading to the Blue Oval include Kenna Furnald who won the long jump and senior Drew Fox who took first in the discus with a toss 102-10.
- New London’s Aliyah Christensen will be heading to the Blue Oval, as well. Christensen was New London’s lone girls’ qualifier with a win in the 400m dash in 1:04.00.
- Winfield-Mount Union will have two events compete at the 2021 State Track and Field Championships. The Lady Wolves will see their 4×100 shuttle hurdle relay team of Keetyn Townsley, Morgan Grelk, Kyndal Townsley and Kayreanna Sharar and Jobey Malone, who won the the shot put both at the Blue Oval.
Boys’ Golf: Sectional Golf Today at Washington:
The Mount Pleasant boys’ golf team will be at Washington Golf and Country Club this morning, as they compete in sectional action.
Also golfing in Washington today will be Clear Creek-Amana, Fairfield, Fort Madison, Keokuk, ND-WB, Solon and Washington.
Teams and individuals advancing from today’s sectional meet will compete in districts next Thursday at Flint Hills Golf Course.