By: Nathan Bloechl — email@example.com
Prep Track: Brumbaugh Dominates to 3A Title:
An absolute powerhouse is the phrase that throws coach Shawn Striegel used to describe Jadan Brumbaugh, who this morning etched her name into the pantheon of greats at Mount Pleasant, earning a Class 3A Shot Put State Championship.
For the Panthers, it’s the second consecutive year that they claim the 3A State Title.
Lexie Magnani, now throwing at UNI, accomplished the feat in 2019.
This year Brumbaugh made sure the crown stayed draped in maroon and gold.
The 2021 Drake Relays champion, Brumbaugh’s sights have always been set on hoisting the state title.
She removed all doubt Friday with a monstrous toss of 44 feet, nine inches.
Brumbaugh said her off-season will consist of perfecting her technique — a scary thought for competitors — and continuing to develop mentally in the circle.
With that said, Brumbaugh said there wasn’t many nerves Friday, despite being the top-seed and Drake Relays champion.
Prep Track: Pullis Earns Medal in Shot Put, For Cherry on Top Finish:
After missing out on his junior season, Mount Pleasant’s Cooper Pullis wanted to come out of the gates hot Friday.
Come out hot, he did.
Pullis launched his best throw of the day on his first throw, hurling a mark of 52 feet, 9 3/4 inches placing him 5th in the Class 3A shot put earning the Panther throw teams their third medal of the weekend.
A Drake Relays qualifier, Pullis is another notch on the belt of outstanding Panther throwers which know has a bit of a dynastic feel to the program.
He also was able to watch two of his closest friends, female throwers Grace Kelley and Jadan Brumbaugh, medal both Thursday and Friday.
He carried that torch into yesterday afternoon with a medalist finish.
Prep Track: Other Area Notables:
Here are some other notable finishes from Day Two of the Iowa High School State Track and Field Championships:
- 1A Girls’ Distance Medley Finals: Jacey Moore, Christella Boyer, Cassidy Yaley, Addison Parrott of Danville go4:21.10 for a 7th place finishing earning a medal.
- 1A Boys’ High Jump: Kade Benjamin (New London) cleared 6-1, finishing 8th on number of misses tiebreaker which earned him a medal.
- 1A Boys’ Discus Carter Allen (New London), a fourth place finisher yesterday in the shot put, throws 160-06 for second place in the 1A discus. The Drake Relays qualifier earns a medal in both of his events.
- 1A Boys’ 4×400 Relay Prelims: Mason Chipman, Gabriel Gourley, Oliver Sowell, Ty Carr of Danville run 3:28.11 for first place in prelims, they’ll have the top time heading into tonight’s finals.
- 2A Boys’ 4×100 Relay Prelims: Kadin Salek, Josh Darbyshire, Andrew McPherson, Anthony Isley (Mediapolis) run 44.31 to qualify for today’s finals. They ran the 8th fastest time in the 2A field.
- 2A Boys’ 4×400 Relay Prelims: Kadin Salek, Levi Arnold, Andrew McPherson and Anthony Isley (Mediapolis) go3:28.62 to qualify for this morning’s finals with the third fastest times in prelims.
- 3A Girls’ 100m Hurdle Prelims: Karsyn Lamm (Mount Pleasant) runs the 7th fastest time in prelims, qualifying for finals with a run of 16.17 seconds.
- 3A Boys’ 110m Hurdle Prelims: Bryce Wilson (Mount Pleasant) qualifies with the third fastest time in prelims, running 15.20.