This year at the Iowa State Fair 213 youth from 63 Iowa counties participated in Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Skillathons for dairy, meat goat, sheep and swine. A team from the KILJ listening made up of Lilian Buie of Jefferson County and Zane Smith and Alicia Cumberland from Van Buren County placed first in the meat goat category. Skillathons include five stations requiring the participants to work together to solve problems and identify dairy, meat goat, swine or sheep production components. Participants identified feed samples, breeds and meat cuts while also answering questions about genetics, nutrients, quality assurance, handling and biosecurity.
Recent News Stories
- News Danville City Council Meeting Agenda December 4, 2023
- News Washington Teen Arrested on Sexual Abuse Charges December 4, 2023
- News Mt. Pleasant Woman Involved in Rollover Denied Aircare Due to Weather December 4, 2023
- News Big Changes for Southeast Iowa Union for 2024 December 4, 2023
- News Monday Morning Mobile Home Fire in Burlington December 4, 2023
- News Representative Taylor Collins Monthly Newsletter December 1, 2023