At 1:50 AM on December 4th , 2023, the Burlington Fire Department and West Burlington Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire located at 11912 DMC HWY 99 Lot 103 in rural Burlington. Burlington firefighters arrived at 2:01 AM to find flames showing from a mobile home trailer.
The uninsured mobile home is owned by Roger Steffenmier who was not at home during the incident. Three roommates that were awake at the time of the fire were able to make it out safely. Firefighters were able to revive the family cat. There were no working smoke alarms present and the structure is considered a total loss.
The cause of the fire was due to improperly discarded smoking material, and it has been determined to be accidental.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported, and firefighters cleared the scene at 3:51 AM. Eleven initial firefighters arrived and were assisted by Danville Fire Dept., Gladstone Fire Dept., REC Electric, Alliant Gas, and Des Moines County Sheriffs Dept.