Wet Snow and Wapello Fire and Rescue Defeat Garage Fire

At approximately 8:32 A.M. on January 9, 2024, Wapello Fire and Rescue and Wapello Ambulance were called to the 300 block of Roy El Court in Wapello for a report of a garage fire. Morning Sun Fire Department was requested for mutual aid.

Fire crews arrived shortly after to find the fire mostly extinguished by the homeowner who had utilized the wet snow to extinguish the fire. Morning Sun Fire Department was canceled, and firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check for fire extension.

The fire started after gasoline vapors ignited on a snowblower after refueling. Damage to the garage and contents is estimated at less than $3000. There were no injuries. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions when fueling equipment and always refuel in a well-ventilated area.